Fontina, Mushroom, & Polenta Bites
In Italy the combination of polenta and mushrooms runs passionately in the northern parts of Italy. We have taken that and shrunk it into a bite size, easily held appetizer that is so filled with texture and incredible flavors. Fontina, Mushroom, Polenta Bites crusty, crispy, crunchy with that oh so good corn flavor mingling with herbs and spices only to unleash a fragrant and absolutely juicy, gooey, scrumptious center thanks to the sautéed mushrooms and the wonderful flavor and texture of the melted Fontona cheese. These will definitely have your guests going for seconds and even thirds! Perfect for New Years eve parties and even any gathering for that matter!
Happy New Years!
2 cups water
1/2 cup crème
1/2 tsp dried thyme
Sprinkle chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cups cornmeal
10 Crimini mushrooms chopped fine
2 green onion stalks chopped fine
1 clove garlic minced
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/8 cup white wine
3 drops white truffle oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup grated Fontina cheese
1 cup fine Italian style bread crumbs
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 60 Minutes
Yield: ~10 Bites
1. In a medium pot pour in water, olive oil, crème, and add parsley, dried thyme, and salt.
2. When the mixture starts to simmer and little bubbles appear around the edges slowly start to sprinkle in cornmeal a little at a time continually stirring with a whisk until all the cornmeal is in.
3. Once the cornmeal starts to thicken stir constantly with a wooden spoon.
4. Cook until polenta starts to come away from the sides of the pot approx. 20 minutes, remove from heat and let cool.
1. In a sauté pan pour in olive oil and bring to a medium heat.
2. Add green onion and garlic and sauté for about 1 minute or until onion softens.
3. Toss in mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes, then add in thyme, rosemary, and cook for another couple of minutes.
4. Pour in white wine, and cook until all wine has dissipated about 2-3 minutes, then finish with drops of white truffle oil take off heat and let cool.
1. Take a tablespoon of the polenta and flatten it into a circle the size of your palm.
2. Sprinkle with a bit of grated fontina cheese, and place 1 tsp of the mushroom mixture on top.
3. Finish with some more grated fontina then slowly fold the outside perimeter into the center covering the cheese and mushroom mixture.
4. When filling is covered form polenta into a ball pressing firmly to ensure polenta is nice and firm around filling.
5. Place ball into bowl of bread crumbs and roll until well coated, then place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
6. When all the polenta bites are formed and breaded, pre-heat oven to 400 F.
7. Place baking sheet with polenta bites into oven and bake for 20 minutes or until surface turns a nice golden brown.
8. Take out of oven and plate. Enjoy!
Recipe created for the Italian Centre Shop by: