Italian Focaccia Club Sandwich
This sandwich is amazing. It epitomizes Italian flavors hosting prosciutto cotto, friulano cheese, provolone cheese, roasted red pepper spread and a plumb jam, roasted red peppers, marinated artichoke hearts and a soft cooked egg with a tomato rose hollandaise sauce. The amazing thing is that the egg carried itself through all the flavors and one would think with that much going on it is a bit busy, however the flavors were spot on and balanced and the sandwiches disappeared very quickly!. This would be great for Easter Brunch! or Pasquetta Easter Monday picnic.
2 large free range chicken eggs
120 g prosciutto cotto
100 g sliced provolone
140 grams grated friulano cheese
1 10 inch round parmesan cheese foccacia
3 tsp plump jam
2 tbsp Gloria spread(red pepper, eggplant spread)
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1/8 cup of roasted red peppers
¼ cup marinated artichokes
1 package hollandaise sauce
2 tablespoons tomato sauce(Mutti Pizza sauce)
½ cup butter
1 cup milk
Pinch of oregano
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 tbsp olive oil
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time 23 minutes
Total time 38 minutes
Servings 2-4 servings
- Cut focaccia in half and cut each half into a nice even rectangle cutting off the round areas. ( Keep excess pieces and make bread cubes). Take rectangles and cut into two even squares and cut those in the middle creating 8 total slices.
- Toast these slices in a toaster on a low setting just enough to brown the edges. Butter each slice when you take them out of the toaster.Spread jam onto four of the bottom slices.
- Spread some mayo and red pepper spread on the other slices leaving a top slice to finish each sandwich.In a sauté pan drizzle in olive oil, and fry up the eggs on low to medium heat, flipping them after about 1 ½ minutes and cook for an additional 1 ½ minutes.
- In a medium sauce pan melt butter, add packet of hollandaise sauce and whisk well. Take off heat and add milk basil, tomato sauce,and whisk vigorously and put back on medium to high heat. Keep whisking until it begins to thicken then take off heat.
- Place a slice of provolone on the bottom slice, sprinkle with a pinch of dreid oregano and top with two slices of proscuito cotto and another slice of provolone.
- Place another slice of the toasted foccacia with the red pepper and mayo on top. Sprinkle with grated friulano and some chopped marinated artichokes and roasted red pepper and some more grated friulano.
- Place another slice of foccacia with the jam on top, and place a slice of provolone, next the egg and then a nice drizzle of the rose hollandaise sauce, and a sprinkle of friulano.
- Finish with a top slice of the foccacia and slide a medium skewer into the middle to hold the sandwich together. Sprinkle with some grated friulano.
- Create another sandwich as you have done with this one.
- Heat oven to 350 F Place sandwiches in an oven safe pan and bake for 10 minutes til cheese is nice and melted.
- Take out of oven and it is ready to serve.
Recipe created for the Italian Centre Shop by: