Baccalà in umido con Patate (Stewed Salted Cod with Potatoes)
Bacala' in umido con Patate (stewed Salted Cod with Potatoes), is a dish that you would see in our Roman home on Christmas eve. Traditionally Christmas eve was a night filled with fish and seafood delights. This fish stew is full of vibrant flavors and textures. Juicy moist cod stewed in a rich tomato sauce delighted with fresh basil, onion, and garlic. To add just a bit more passion and comfort some beautiful soft potatoes and of course no Italian table is complete without bread and wine.
1 kg of thick salted cod
1 large can of good quality tomatoes
2 medium potatoes cut into bite size chunks
4 fresh basil leaves
1 large white onion chopped fine
1 clove garlic pressed
2 tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Prep time: 15 minutes ( plus 72 hours soaking time for cod)
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes plus soaking time for cod
Serves 4 comfortably
- Take salted cod and cut into nice good chunks about 1 1/2 inch x 2 inches.
- Rinse with cold water thoroughly for about 5 minutes taking any excess salt off the cod.
- Place cod chunks in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Place in fridge.
- Let cod soak for 3 days changing the water everyday and rinsing cod before refreshing the water.
- In a deep saute' pan drizzle in olive oil and bring to a medium to high heat.
- Toss in garlic and onions and saute for about 10 minutes.
- Take tomatoes and place in pan squishing and breaking apart the tomatoes adding in the thick tomato juice.
- Turn heat to a low to medium and break in fresh basil leaves. Simmer for about 15minutes.
- Place potato chunks into sauce and simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Drain cod and pat dry with paper towel. Place in sauce with potatoes.
- Partially cover pan and cook for 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and black pepper as needed.
- Ready to serve
- Do not season until the end. The cod is salty and there may not be a need to season with salt.
- Be careful not to overcook the cod it does become chewy if cooked too much.
- If sauce looks too thick add some water. It all depends on the quality of tomatoes you buy we used Mutti brand.
Recipe created for the Italian Centre Shop by: