2 cups flour + 1 tbsp flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp coarse salt
1 cup maple syrup + more for drizzling
½ cup unsalted butter, melted
½ cup plain greek yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups fresh blueberries (or frozen thawed blueberries)
⅔ cup all-purpose flour
⅓ cup (packed) light or dark brown sugar
⅓ cup tbsp unsalted butter, melted
Servings: 12 muffins
Preparation: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Kitchen Equipment: mixing bowls, muffin tin
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray or grease; set aside. Line another tray with paper towels and set aside. Put 1 cup sugar in a bowl and set aside.
- Dissolve the yeast and 1 tbsp sugar in ¼ cup warm water in a small bowl and let sit for 5-10 minutes until it becomes frothy. While the yeast is sitting, warm the milk over medium heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add in warmed milk, whisked eggs, melted butter, and yeast mixture.
- Stir thoroughly with a wooden spoon to form a soft dough. It will be sticky so keep some flour nearby. Remove the dough from the bowl and knead to form a soft/smooth dough, about 5-10 minutes.
- Place the dough back in a bowl, cover lightly with a towel and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour to 1 ½ hours.
- Remove the dough to a lightly floured surface and shape/roll into a 9x12 inch square. Cut dough into 12 squares (3x3 inch squares) and place on the greased parchment paper. Cover with a towel and let rise for another 30 minutes.
- Add 1 ½ - 2 inches canola oil to a 6 quart pot, heat oil over medium-high heat to hot but not smoking (to 350F if you have a thermometer) or you can take a small piece of dough and dip it in the oil, if it sizzles the oil is ready (took about 10-15 minutes to warm up).
- Working in batches, cook donuts 1-2 minutes per side, cooking 2-3 at a time making sure the pan isn’t crowded, until puffed up and golden brown.
- Place finished malasadas on a paper towel lined tray and allow to rest for a few minutes before rolling in the extra sugar.
- Repeat until finished.
Recipe Pro Tips:
- Serve these donuts plain or with your choice of jams or dipping sauces like lemon curd or dulce de leche.