1x small yellow onion
2x garlic cloves, minced
2x Italian sausage, removed from the casing and cooked
Sliced deli ham
2x torpedo buns
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground pepper
2/3 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
2/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup cream
Preparation: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Kitchen Equipment: large baking sheet, parchment paper
- Start by preparing the toppings:
Pre heat the oven to 375F.
Next prepare the torpedo buns: Use a serrated knife to carve out the middle of the bun, slicing about 1 ½ inches deep and use your hand to hollow out the bun, leaving about ½ inch on the bottom and sides. Oil a piece of foil (oil spray, butter or oil so the bun doesn’t stick) and use foil to wrap around the sides and bottom of the bun just in case filling leaks out during cooking. Place on a baking sheet.
Prepare the egg filling: Whisk together 6 eggs, salt, pepper, cream, shredded gruyere cheese and shredded cheddar cheese and cooked onions.
Divide the egg filling between two bowls and add in the other mixings of your choice.
Delicious filling combinations:
- Cook onions with 2 tbsp olive oil until softened.
- Then, cook the 4 mushrooms (sliced) with 1-2 tbsp olive oil and cook until softened. Season with a big pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook Italian sausage by removing from the casing, break it up in the pan and saute until done.
- Slice the ham and set aside.
- Set out the hot peppers, spinach, chili flakes and sliced deli ham.
Carefully fill each bun with the filling, pull the sides of the bun gently to make sure the filling spreads evenly.
Bake until the egg is set in the center, about 40-45 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing with a serrated knife.
Delicious served with a simple green salad or arugula dressed with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Spinach, mushrooms, deli ham
- Italian sausage, spicy peppers, mushrooms
- Deli ham, spinach, hot peppers
- Mushroom, spinach, chili flakes
- Italian sausage, mushrooms, spinach & spicy peppers.
Recipe Pro Tips:
- Want to make this for more people? Double the recipe for the eggs and buns
- Mix and match ingredients based on your own tastes.