Chili Lime Chicken Taco Board
Using marinated bone-in chicken thighs, you’ll get the juiciest chicken for these tacos. Pair with a variety of toppings, including a divine cilantro crema and grilled tortillas for a dinner made for sharing!
8x bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 limes, zested and juiced
2 tbsp ground chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1x package small corn tortillas
Cabbage coleslaw mix
Cilantro Lime Crema:
1 ¼ cup sour cream
½ lime zested and juiced
1 tsp kosher salt
1 clove garlic
¼ cup packed fresh cilantro
Preparation: 45 minutes
Total Time: 90 minutes
Kitchen Equipment: barbecue, medium mixing bowl, large board for serving
- Whisk chicken marinade in a medium-sized bowl (3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil; 2 limes, zested and juiced; 2 tbsp ground chili powder; 1 tsp ground cumin; 2 tsp garlic powder; 1 tsp kosher salt; 1 tsp ground pepper).
- Add the chicken thighs to the bowl of marinade, ensuring all of the chicken is covered with the marinade. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes or leave overnight in the fridge to grill the next day.
- While the chicken is marinating:
When ready to grill, preheat the barbecue grill to medium high about 400-425F.
Remove the chicken thighs from the marinade and place on the grill skin side down, cooking for 10 minutes to start. Then flip the chicken and cook for 5 minutes. Continue to cook the chicken, flipping every 5 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165F, about 25-30 minutes total.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes.
When you can handle the chicken with your hands, pull chicken off the bone into pieces or chop if you so choose. (You can keep the chicken skin on or remove it).
Serve chicken with grilled tortillas, avocados, salsa, fresh cilantro, cabbage coleslaw mix, chives and cilantro lime crema to make a delicious taco board for everyone to share.
- Prepare the toppings of your choosing and set in the fridge.
- Make the cilantro lime crema by blending the sour cream, zest and juice of half a lime, salt, garlic clove and cilantro in a blender. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
Recipe Pro Tips
- You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe too; however, they will need much less cooking time and only need to marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Not feeling like tacos? Make the chicken and crema for the most amazing chicken bowl with fresh veggies and quinoa, beans or barley.