Chocolate Coffee Layer Cake
This Chocolate Coffee Layer Cake is perfect for any celebration! Luscious chocolate cake with a hint of coffee layered with fresh whipped cream and topped with your choice dulce de leche sauce, bourbon cherries, mascarpone cheese or more whipped cream. Meant to satisfy every palate at the table - everyone can truly have the slice of cake that satisfies.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut up
1 + ¼ cup brewed coffee (divided)
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
2 teaspoon coffee extract
Extra butter & flour for the baking pans
1L / 4 cups whipping cream
2 tbsp granulated sugar
Coffee or espresso grounds
Dulce de leche caramel sauce
Servings: 10-12 pieces
Preparation: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Kitchen Equipment: 2x 9-inch round baking pans; large mixing bowl; medium pot, stand or hand mixer with whisk attachment
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Lightly butter and flour two 9-inch round baking pans, tapping out excess flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium pot, bring the butter, 1 cup coffee and cocoa powder to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve all of the butter. Once dissolved, remove from heat.
- Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture and whisk well.
- Then, add the sour cream, the eggs and coffee extract, and beat well with a large whisk. Use a spoon or spatula for a final stir to ensure all of the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Divide cake batter evenly between the two 9-inch round pans.
- Bake until the cake springs back when pressed in the center, about 30-35 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Remove the cakes from each pan once cooled.
- Once cakes are completely cooled, make the whipped cream by adding 1L (4 cups) whipping cream and 2 tbsp granulated sugar to a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whip on high until stiff peaks form.
- Keep whipped cream stored in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- To create the layer cake, place one of the cakes on a cake plate or stand and brush with about 2 tbsp brewed coffee. Then spread 2 cups whipped cream on the first layer, leaving about half inch around the edge. Place the next cake layer on the whipped cream; brush the top of this cake layer with about 2 tbsp coffee and then spread 2 cups whipped cream leaving about half inch from the edge.
- Finally sprinkle the top layer with ground coffee or espresso.
- Serve cake slices with a variety of toppings! Some favourite combinations are: whipped cream & dulce de leche; bourbon cherries & fresh mint: mascarpone cheese, dulce de leche & cherries.
Recipe Pro Tips:
- Create a ‘toppings bar’ and let everyone choose their own!
Cake Recipe Adapted from: https://www.oprah.com/food/aunties-chocolate-cake-with-chocolate-pecan-frosting