Chocolate Espresso Pot de Creme
These silky-smooth chocolate espresso custards are a delectable treat to make for the ones you love. While they take a little extra time, the final results are definitely worth the wait.
5 egg yolks
2 tbsp sugar
2 ⅓ cups heavy whipping cream
200g semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
3-4 tsp espresso powder (or more if you prefer a stronger coffee flavour)
Servings: 6 individual cups
Preparation: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Kitchen Equipment: 6 (6 oz) small oven-safe cups or ramekins; baking pan or dish; small pot
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Make sure the baking pan or dish has enough room to allow water to fill up at least halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- In a bowl whisk together egg yolks, sugar and salt until creamy and turns a lighter yellow colour. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat the cream to a simmer over medium heat. When it begins to simmer immediately remove from the heat and whisk in espresso powder and chocolate until combined & smoothe.
- Add 2 tbsp of the warm chocolate-cream mixture to the whisked yolks, whisking to combine and then add the rest, very slowly, whisking constantly so the mixture doesn’t curdle.
- Finally, pour the custard mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a large bowl or large measuring cup.
- Divide the custard mixture between the 6 cups or ramekins. Place the cups onto the baking pan or dish and add hot water to the baking pan to reach about halfway up the sides of the cups. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and poke a few holes in the foil and then put into the oven (best position is the centre rack of the oven).
- Bake until custards are just set around the edges and a bit wobbly still in the centre, about 40-45 minutes. Then transfer the cups to a rack to cool completely for about 1 hour. The custards will continue to set as they cool.
- Chill in the fridge, covered at least 2 hours before serving.
- Serve topped with additional whipped cream or chocolate shavings.
Recipe Pro Tips:
- Make these ahead of time and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.