One Pan Pesto Shrimp Orzo
There’s nothing better than an easy one pot pasta that’s packed with flavour! Using fresh pesto from the shop and lemon zest, this flavourful orzo comes together in one pan and is sure to please the whole family.
3 tbsp olive oil
1 lb shrimp, deveined and peeled
½ yellow onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp + ½ tsp salt
½ tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp ground pepper
1 ½ cups orzo
Zest of one lemon
3 ½ cups vegetable broth
¼-½ cup pesto sauce
Fresh basil leaves for garnish
Preparation: 10 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Kitchen Equipment: large high-sided skillet or braiser
- Add 3 tbsp olive oil to a large high-sided skillet or frying pan and turn to medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add the shrimp and 1 tsp salt. Cook 3-6 minutes or until the shrimp are cooked through / pink. Transfer the shrimp to a plate or bowl and set aside.
- Keep the pan on medium heat and add the diced onion, cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the minced garlic, ½ tsp salt, dried oregano and ground pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the the orzo and lemon zest until well combined with ingredients in the pan.
- Stir in the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, keep at a simmer over medium-low heat until most of the liquid is absorbed and the orzo is al dente, about 10-12 minutes, stir occasionally to make sure the orzo doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. If you have a lid for the skillet, keep it on the pan most of the way while the orzo cooks, removing the lid to stir.
- Once the orzo is cooked, add the shrimp back to the pan and ¼ cup pesto, stirring to combine and cook on low for another 1-2 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning with more pesto if desired.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately, garnished with fresh basil.
- If your orzo is not quite done and most of the broth is already absorbed, add another ¼-½ cup of vegetable broth at a time and cook a bit longer until your desired doneness is reached.