Mac and Cheese Made for Camping
Get ready for a delicious camping adventure with the ultimate mac and cheese recipe! Our mac & cheese recipe can be prepared ahead of time; stored in the refrigerator; and then enjoyed warmed up over the fire or camping stove. Bring your favourite toppings and enjoy!
3 pinsa flatbreads
4-6 slices mortadella
1x small ball burrata
1-2 tbsp chopped pistachios
1x small leek, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
2 small preserved lemons, minced
5-6 white anchovies
¼ cup olive tapenade
1 tbsp olive oil
4-5 pieces rapini
½ cup ricotta
Zest of one lemon
Preparation: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
Kitchen Equipment: large pot, lasagna-sized aluminum pan
- Cook the noodles, drain and set aside.
- Add the milk to the pot and warm on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour until no lumps remain and cook for another minute.
- Add 2 ½ cups grated cheddar cheese, 1 ½ cups grated gruyere cheese, garlic powder, mustard and dash of hot sauce and stir until smooth
- Cook 2-3 more minutes on low and then remove from heat, adjust seasoning (generous pinch of salt & pepper) and then stir in noodles.
- Assemble the finished mac & cheese to take camping! Spoon the mac & cheese into a lasagna-sized aluminum pan and top with 1 cup more of shredded cheese. Let fully cool and then cover tightly with a lid or aluminum foil. Store in the fridge until ready to take on the road - make sure to keep cool in a cooler or in a fridge for up to 2 days.
- Reheat, covered, over a fire or cooktop, about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted on top and mac & cheese is warmed through. Top with your favourite toppings like hot sauce, truffle ketchup, hot peppers, toasted breadcrumbs or extra cheese and enjoy!
Recipe Pro Tips:
- Enjoy this as a non-camping recipe too! It makes a delicious dinner, lunch or game-day meal!