Easter Eggs Benny Italian Style
Starting from the bottom up, A wonderfully toasted ciabatta bun, moving up to a nicely grilled mortadella. Then a choice of either roasted peppers or dressed tomatoes Italian style. The star of the show poached egg beautifully garnished with a rich buttery and velvety rose' hollandaise sauce and fresh chopped basil.
Organic free range chicken eggs
1 ciabatta bun cut in half and trimmed
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 inch thick slice of San Daniele Mortadella
trimmed and cut into 4 equal squares
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 heirloom tomato
3-4 fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
2 organic free range chicken eggs
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
250 g organic salted butter
Dash onion powder, garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried dill
2-3 tablespoon Mutti pizza sauce
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh basil
- Set oven broiler to high.
- Wash and dry peppers. Place whole peppers on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and place in oven. Watching carefully, turn as they char until all sides are charred.
- Remove from oven, place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let cool.
- Once cooled, peel the charred skin and clean out inside. Chop into thin slivers.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt.
- Add minced garlic and toss, set aside.
- Slice tomato into thin rounds.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle chopped fresh basil on top, set aside.
- Grease grilling pan, heat to medium to high, add mortadella squares.
- When grill marks appear on the underside 1-2 minutes turn 180 degrees and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Flip and repeat. Remove from heat. Place in oven at low heat (about 200oF) to keep warm.
- Fill a large sauté pan halfway with water. Add 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar and place on medium heat. Bring to boiling.
- Crack eggs into separate ramekin dishes and place ramekins into boiling water.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, remove cooked eggs with slotted spoon and place in oven with mortadella to keep warm.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 inch of water to a low simmer.
- While bringing the water to boil melt the butter.
- Separate the yolks from two eggs and place yolks into a glass bowl with 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar. Place bowl above boiling water in pot.
- Whisk eggs and vinegar until they double in quantity.
- Slowly add melted butter a little at a time whisking constantly. Sprinkle with garlic and onion powder and dill. Whisk to blend.
- Continue untill all butter is added and mixture thickens. Add pizza (tomato) sauce and season with salt to taste, whisk again.
- Set aside, but keep warm.
- Spread butter on ciabatta slices and put under broiler/toaster oven for 2-3 minutes until top turns a golden brown.
- Take out of oven and place on separate dishes.
- Place two grilled mortadella squares on top of toasted ciabatta slices.
- Add a layer of roasted red and yellow peppers, then dressed tomatoes.
- Add poached eggs and drizzle hollandaise sauce on top.
- Garnish with some fresh chopped basil and serve with roasted potatoes with fresh chopped green onion.
Recipe created for the Italian Centre Shop by: