Easy Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese
Is there anything better than a warm bowl of tomato soup and grilled cheese during cold winter months? This flavourful tomato soup recipe is not only super easy to make with one of our favourite pantry staples, pair with a scrumptious grilled cheese sandwich for the perfect cozy duo - fit for lunch or dinner.
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 28oz can menu pomodorino tomato sauce
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Fresh basil for garnish
Optional: ¼ cup whipping cream
Servings: 2-4 servings
Preparation: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Kitchen Equipment: medium pot
Grilled Cheese Ingredients
4 slices of pagnotta bread (makes 2 large sandwiches)
4 tbsp butter at room temperature
1 ½ cups shredded old cheddar cheese (divided into 1 cup and ½ cup)
1 ½ cups shredded emmental cheese (divided into 1 cup and ½ cup)
Servings: 2 large sandwiches
Preparation: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Kitchen Equipment: frying pan
Tomato Soup Instructions:
- Heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. Once melted add minced garlic and cook 3-4 minutes until fragrant and turning golden brown.
- Add in flour and cook for one minute.
- Stir in tomato sauce and broth, then bring to a simmer over high heat. Once simmering, turn to medium-low heat and keep at a simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and season with kosher salt and ground pepper to your liking.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the whipping cream if using.
- Lastly, blend with a hand blender until smooth if you’d like a smoother soup texture.
Grilled Cheese Instructions:
- To assemble, butter one side of each of the pagnotta bread slices and place buttered-side down on a cutting board.
- Shred the cheese and leave ½ cup aside of each type.
- Mix 1 cup of each shredded cheese together.
- Then, place 1 cup of shredded cheese on the bread and top with the remaining slice, buttered side up.
- Using a stovetop: heat a nonstick pan over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Put the sandwich in the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes until well-browned. Flip and cook for another 5-7 minutes until browned and the cheese is melted. While cooking, add in the ½ cup shredded cheese to the pan beside the sandwich..
- Turn the sandwich once more and use a spatula to scrape the bubbling cheese from the pan onto the top of the sandwich.
- Remove from the pan and let cool for a few minutes. Make the second sandwich.
- Serve as a side to tomato soup or amp up your tomato soup by using the grilled cheese as a very delicious soup topper.
Recipe Pro Tips:
- If the bread is browned but the cheese is not quite melted enough, turn the heat to low and cook a little longer.