Creamy Parmesan Beans
2 tbsp olive oil
1x shallot, diced
2x garlic cloves, minced
2x 398mL cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
3 sprigs of thyme
½ tsp coarse salt
2 tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
¼ cup cream
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Preparation: 10 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Kitchen Equipment: medium pot
Apple & Fennel Salad
2x granny smith apples, sliced thin
1x large or 2x small fennel bulbs, sliced in half and sliced thin (save fennel fronds for garnish)
2 cups arugula
¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
½ cup walnuts, toasted
Juice from half a lemon
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper, generous pinch of each
Preparation: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Kitchen Equipment: mixing bowl
- Place roast in a baking dish that has broth covering the bottom in a preheated oven at 350 °F. Cook based on about 30 minutes cooking time per pound.
- Cook until the centre of the pork registers 160F temperature. Remove, cover and let rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- Plate by placing a few spoonfuls of creamy parmesan beans the porchetta slice on top and the apple & fennel salad on the side.
Creamy Parmesan Beans Instructions:
- Heat a pot over medium heat and add olive oil. Add the shallots and cook for 4-5 minutes until softened. Then add the minced garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add beans to the pot with 3 sprigs of thyme, 1/2 tsp coarse salt and pinch of pepper. Stir in the flour until it coats the beans and then add in chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down and cook at a simmer for 15-20 minutes until mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove thyme sprigs. Use a potato masher or fork and smash some of the beans, add in the cream, parmesan cheese and stir to create a thicker consistency. Cook over low heat at a simmer for 10 more minutes until it thickens further.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve topped with parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.
Recipe Pro Tips:
- These are a delicious side for other pork dishes like pork chops or roasted pork loin.
- Try using these as a base for a seafood dish too; serve the beans topped with spicy shrimp or scallops.
Apple & Fennel Salad Instructions:
- Preheat the oven to a low broil. Toast walnuts for 3-5 minutes until starting to brown.
- Make the dressing: whisk together or shake in a jar all of the ingredients and set aside.
- Core the apple and slice thinly. Remove the core from the fennel bulbs, slice bulb in half and then slice thinly.
- Just before serving, toss together the apple slices, fennel slices and arugula with the dressing. Then top with walnuts, parmesan cheese and fennel fronds to serve.
Recipe Pro Tips:
- Want to make this ahead of time? Slice the apples and fennel, mix with the dressing and store in the refrigerator for up to an hour. Before serving follow the rest of the instructions.