Grilled Stuffed BC Peppers
Celebrate the beautiful produce of the season with these Grilled Stuffed BC Peppers! A variety of peppers stuffed with a mixture of couscous, italian sausage, tomatoes and spices are grilled to perfection. A wonderful dish for weeknight dinners!
8 peppers (2 dove, 2 blue jay, 4 small hungarian peppers)
Olive oil for the grill
1x package Massimos uncooked mild italian sausage meat (out of casing)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp dried oregano
1 ½ tsp kosher salt
¼ - ½ tsp chili flakes
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
1 cup uncooked couscous, cooked according to package directions
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
100g / 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
Garnish: more fresh basil leaves
Preparation: 10 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Kitchen Equipment: large frying pan, foil
- Prepare the peppers: Slice the tops off and remove membranes and seeds. If peppers need help to stand up, slice a small portion off the bottom to make it flat. Brush the tops of the peppers with oil to get ready for the grill.
- Make the filling: Cook the couscous according to package directions. Head a large pan to medium heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and the uncooked sausage out of the casing. Cook and break apart the sausage until browned and cooked through, about 10-15 minutes. Add in chopped tomatoes, dried oregano, kosher salt, pepper and chili flakes and let simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the chopped basil, cooked couscous and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (450F). Oil the grill and grill peppers top side down for about 5 minutes, then flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Lower the heat to 350F. Remove the peppers from the grill to stuff.
- Stuff the peppers, dividing the filling between all 8 and top with shredded provolone cheese. Place a piece of foil down on the grill and then place peppers on the foil to cook until warmed through and the cheese is melted / bubbling, about 15-20 minutes.
Recipe Pro Tips:
- Want to cook these on the grill and reheat to enjoy later? Store up to 3 days in the refrigerator and gently reheat, covered in the oven at 325F until warm.