Kids Sandwich-Skewer Bento-Box Lunch Ingredients:
1x ciabatta bun, cut into cubes
4 slices roast turkey, cut in half
8 slices mild genoa salami
80-100g cheddar or gouda cheese
8 baby tomatoes
1/2 cup honey greek yogurt
1x bag carrot chips
Servings: makes 4 lunches
Preparation: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Kitchen Equipment: 4 wooden skewers, rectangular glass or plastic lunch container, small container for yogurt
Adult Pasta Salad Bento-Box Lunch Ingredients:
500g bag frozen cheese tortellini
3x small red cocktail tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2x orange tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 1/3 cups arugula
1 ⅓ cup dates
1/2 cup almond butter
Cherries (or apple slices)
1 ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp kosher salt
Servings: makes 4 lunches
Preparation: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Kitchen Equipment: rectangular glass or plastic lunch container, small container for almond butter
Kids Sandwich-Skewer Bento-Box Lunch Instructions:
- To prep the sandwich skewers, cut the ciabatta bun into 12 cubes and fold the meat into squares.
- Cut the cheese into cubes or thicker slices. Or, use a small cookie cutter to cut the cheese into fun shapes.
- To assemble the skewers, place a piece of bread on the skewer as a base followed by turkey, salami, cheese tomato, another bread cube then turkey, salami, cheese and end with one more bread cube. Repeat to create 4 skewers.
- Use a rectangular container to assemble one bento box lunch with 1x sandwich skewer, slices from half an apple, 2 tbsp honey greek yogurt and a handful of carrot chips. Repeat to create 4 bento box lunches.
- Pack for lunch and enjoy!
- Squeeze a bit of lemon over the apple slices before putting them into the container to keep from browning.
- Mix and match whichever type of meat and cheese you’d like!
Adult Pasta Salad Bento-Box Lunch Instructions:
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions, drain and let cool.
- In the meantime, prep the tomatoes by slicing in half and using a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Then chop the tomatoes.
- Make the dressing by adding all the ingredients to a mason jar or jar with a lid, shaking to combine.
- Once the tortellini is cooled, add the dressing and toss to combine. Then add the tomatoes and basil, tossing gently to combine. **Add in the arugula 1/3 cup at a time just before you take lunch to ensure it stays fresh and crisp**
- To assemble one bento box, use a small container with the almond butter to separate the tortellini salad portion from the dates and cherries (or apple slices). Each tortellini salad portion will be a quarter of the entire salad that is made.
- If you don’t have a container that works, use a small container for the tortellini pasta salad and put the almond butter, dates and cherries (or apple slices) together in a second container.
- Repeat to create 4 bento box lunches.
- You can absolutely use different types of tortellini OR even your favourite gluten free pasta for the pasta salad.