A delectable way to enjoy zucchini during the summer months, these Zucchini Fritters are the perfect bite! Serve them as a side to a grilled meat dish, a savoury brunch item or eat them alone as a snack. And, serve them with a side of garlic yogurt dip for the perfect bite!
2 cups grated zucchini, about 2 small zucchini
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
⅓ cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1 tbsp chopped chives
Olive oil for sauteing
Yogurt Dipping Sauce:
2 Garlic cloves minced
Juice half Lemon
½ cup Yogurt
1 tsp Olive oil
¼ tsp kosher salt
Pinch ground pepper
Servings: 10-12 fritters
Preparation: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Kitchen Equipment: grater, bowl, strainer
- Make the yogurt sauce: Stir together garlic cloves, lemon juice, yogurt, olive oil, salt and a pinch of pepper. Let sit in the fridge until ready to use.
- To prepare the zucchini: Grate the zucchini on the large side of a cheese grater. Add the zucchini to a strainer and sprinkle with ½ tsp salt. Let sit for 15 minutes and then press down with your hands to start draining the liquid out. Get out as much liquid as you can. You want to get as much liquid out as possible so the fritters will be crispy! Set aside as you make the batter.
- To make the fritter batter: In a bowl whisk eggs and then with a spoon stir in flour, baking powder, cheese, chives, salt and a couple grinds of pepper - this will be very thick. Then stir in the zucchini which will relax the dough.
- To make the fritters: Line a plate with a paper towel and set aside. To a large frying pan, add 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, scoop out the batter by heaping tablespoonfuls, adding to the pan and flattening each fritter with the back of the spoon. Cook about 3 minutes each side until crispy and move finished fritters to the paper towel lined plate. Add more oil to the pan as needed and continue cooking fritters until the batter is done.
- These also make great leftovers. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week and re-heat in the oven on broil for a couple of minutes.