Chocolate Amaretti Icebox Cake
This icebox cake is filled with your favourite tiramisu flavours. In this no-bake cake you’ll find Amaretti cookies layered between softly-whipped cocoa cream. It’s perfect to make the day before getting together with friends as the cake needs to cool overnight in the fridge. Garnished with cocoa powder, chocolate shavings and cookie crumbles for the ultimate presentation!
2 cups heavy cream
1 3/4 cups mascarpone cheese
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1 1/4 tsp espresso powder
2 tbsp sugar
54-60 Amaretti cookies (for cake layers)
1 tsp cocoa powder
¼ cup chocolate shavings from a solid chocolate bar
cookie crumbles from 4-5 Amaretti cookies
Amaretti cookies to top the cake
Servings: 8-10 pieces
Preparation: 30 minutes + overnight for cake to chill in refrigerator
Total Time: 30 minutes plus overnight to chill
Kitchen Equipment: stand mixer, loaf pan (approx. 9 x 6 x 2 inch pan)
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper leaving a 1 inch overhang on the side of the pan.
- In a stand-mixer bowl or regular bowl (if using a hand mixer) add cream, mascarpone, espresso powder, cocoa powder and sugar.
- Using a stand-mixer or hand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip on low and then increase to high speed once the cream is incorporated and mixture has become thicker. Continue to beat on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Start by layering a single layer of amaretti cookies on the bottom of the loaf pan (use about 18 cookies per layer, it will depend on the size of the loaf pan).
- Spread ⅓ of the cream mixture (about 1 ⅔ cups per layer) over the cookies.
- Then layer another set of cookies and spread on top another layer of cream.
- Then layer a last set of cookies.
- Spread the remaining cream mixture on top.
- Cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- If you want more of an ice-cream consistency, freeze for about 1 hour before serving.
- Using the parchment paper overhang on the sides of the pan for support, lift the cake out to a serving platter. Peel the parchment paper from the sides of the icebox cake and tear or cut so that there is parchment paper remaining on the bottom of the cake and around the edges.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with a dusting of cocoa powder followed by the chocolate shavings, cookie crumbles and put a few cookies into the cream so they are sticking out the top of the icebox cake.
- Cut into slices (a serrated knife works best) and serve.
Recipe Pro Tips:
- Ice box cake is best eaten within 2 days of making it
- Chill the serving plate you are going to put the cake on
- Use a vegetable peeler to make chocolate shavings by running a vegetable peeler along the sides of a chocolate bar.