Layers of meats and cheese, plus a vegetable tapenade and arugula for freshness, this sandwich has flavours to suit a ton of tastes. The Muffaletta Sandwich is easy to make ahead of time and great for picnics; and with huge flavour, it won’t disappoint!
6-8 inch round bread loaf (Olive & Cheddar loaf)
8 slices provolone cheese
100g thinly sliced mild genoa salami
100g thinly sliced mortadella
100g thinly sliced capicola
2/3 - 1 cup muffuletta vegetable tapenade
1 cup arugula
Preparation: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Slice the bread round in half and hollow out some of the inside, about a half-inch.
- Spread each half of the bread with about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the muffaletta vegetable tapenade (the amount spread will depend on the size of the round bread loaf).
- Layer the sandwich starting with 4 slices of provolone on the bottom slice. Then layer with the genoa salami, mortadella and capicola and arugula.
- Layer the top half with the remaining 4 slices of provolone and then place the halves together.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Unwrap the sandwich and cut the muffaletta into 6-8 wedges (depending on the size of the bread loaf).
- If you want to take this sandwich for a picnic, after slicing into wedges, wrap individually in plastic wrap for easy picnic transport.
- If you can’t find muffaletta vegetable tapenade, giardiniera can be used instead as it is very similar.
- Like a spicy kick to the sandwich? Opt for spicy genoa salami instead of mild.