350-400g ziti tagliati (or another pasta shape like fusili or rigatoni)
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
4 cups assorted sliced mushrooms (brown or cremini, oyster, shiitake)
½ small yellow onion, diced (about ½ cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup Chef Bechamel Sauce (or heavy cream)
2 tbsp truffle sauce (plus more to your taste)
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
¾ cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 ¼ cup reserved pasta water
Parsley for garnish
Optional: truffle oil to drizzle, ground pepper
Preparation: 10 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Kitchen Equipment: large skillet, large pot
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, reserving 1 ¼ cup pasta water and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat 1 ½ tbsp olive oil in a large high sided skillet or pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add half the mushrooms and cook until the edges start to brown, about 3-4 minutes. Give the mushrooms a stir and cook for another 5 minutes until the mushrooms are turning a nice golden brown colour. Remove the mushrooms from the pan to a bowl. Then, add 1 ½ more tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet and repeat the same process with the other 2 cups of sliced mushrooms. Put all the mushrooms in a bowl and season with a big pinch of salt and pepper - set aside.
- Turn the skillet to medium heat and add the onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is softened, about 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, cream, truffle sauce and 1 cup pasta water. Bring to a simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally and scrape the bottom of the pan of any browned bits.
- Stir in 3/4 of the cooked mushrooms and simmer 1-2 more minutes. Taste and add more truffle sauce if you desire a stronger truffle flavour.
- Finally stir in the pasta along with the shredded parmesan cheese, continuing to mix / toss with the sauce on low heat until combined. If needed, use the final ¼ cup pasta water to help combine the noodles with the sauce.
- Remove from the heat, taste and adjust seasoning with more salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with the remaining cooked mushrooms, fresh parsley, more ground pepper and a drizzle of truffle oil if desired.
Recipe Pro Tips:
- If you forget to reserve some pasta water, try using vegetable or chicken broth instead.