Italian Grilled Sausage Bread
Using a few basic ingredients, make this delicious Italian grilled sausage bread! Using Massimo's sausage, torpedo buns, provolone cheese and spices, you can make this recipe as an appetizer or a delicious open faced sandwich for two!
2 torpedo buns, sliced in half and hollow out the center of each piece
2 tsp dried oregano (divided)
12 slices provolone cheese (fold each slice in half)
1x package of Massimo’s Mild Italian ground sausage meat, divided into 4 portions
Optional: Fresh parsley to make homemade Chimichurri / Herby Sauce
Servings: 4-6 as an appetizer
Preparation: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Kitchen Equipment: grill pan, frying pan or grill
- Place the 4 torpedo bun halves on a baking sheet and hollow out the center of each piece.
- Drizzle each piece with olive oil and sprinkle each with ½ tsp dried oregano.
- Layer 3 slices of provolone cheese (folded in half) into each hollowed out torpedo bun, overlapping as you layer in the middle of th ebun.
- Next, use a ¼ of the Massimo’s ground sausage per bun and use your hands to spread it out over the entire cheese layer, covering most of the bun. Press around the edges to try to seal the sausage so the cheese layer doesn’t leak out when cooking.
- Oil a grill pan or frying pan over medium heat, once warm, cook sausage side down for about 15 minutes or until the sausage is cooked through / reaches 165F internal temperature and then sausage side up to toast the bun.
- To serve as an appetizer, slice each bun half into 4 pieces and drizzle with homemade herby sauce if desired or a marinara sauce.
- To make and serve as a sandwich, make half the recipe and keep the top of the buns to use to complete each sandwich. Once you’ve cooked the two bottom halves, top with herby sauce or your favourite sandwich spread and your choices of greens or other toppings. Then finish the sandwich with the top of the buns that you saved.