One Pot Broccoli Pasta
A creamy, vegetable-forward pasta made in just one pot! Fresh broccoli and peas brighten this dish up so it’s a delicious way to enjoy creamy, cheesy vegetables. This simple pasta is perfect as a main dish for dinner, or enjoy as a side dish to a protein!
¼ cup unsalted butter
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp chili flakes
Zest from one lemon
1 head broccoli, chopped into florets (about 3 cups)
1 tsp kosher salt
500g fusilli pasta
4 cups vegetable broth
3 1/2 cups water
1 cup shredded fontina cheese (about 120g)
½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 cup ricotta cheese
Fresh basil leaves for garnish
1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
Preparation: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Kitchen Equipment: large dutch oven or large pot
- In a large dutch oven or pot, heat butter over medium-high heat. When the butter starts bubbling, add the diced onion, minced garlic, dried oregano and chili flakes; stir and cook for about 3-4 minutes until the onion starts to soften.
- Stir in lemon zest and cook for one more minute.
- Then stir in broccoli florets, kosher salt and a couple turns of ground pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Next stir in pasta, then add 4 cups of vegetable broth and 3 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then turn to medium heat and simmer with the pot covered with the lid on most of the way. Stir occasionally and cook for about 12-15 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone and the pasta is cooked al dente. **Important: If you find the pasta is not quite cooked yet, add another cup of water and continue cooking until done to your liking. OR if the pasta is done and there is some liquid left, keep simmering with the lid off for a few more minutes.
- Once the pasta is cooked to your liking, stir in the shredded fontina cheese, shredded parmesan cheese and ricotta cheese and continue cooking for 2-3 more minutes until creamy. Remove from the heat. If using the defrosted green peas, stir them in and let sit in the pot with the lid on until the peas are warmed through.
- Serve pasta immediately topped with fresh basil.
Recipe Pro Tips:
- To add more texture to this dish, top bowls of pasta with toasted breadcrumbs!