4x 1/2 inch slices pancetta, diced
4x veal or beef shanks
½ large or 1 small yellow onion, diced ½ inch
2x celery stalks, chopped small ½ inch
2x carrots, chopped small ½ inch
3-4 cups beef broth
1x 28oz can crushed tomatoes
Salt and pepper
Zest of one lemon
¼ cup tbsp chopped parsley
2x garlic clove, minced
Serving Option: Serve on risotto
Preparation: 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 - 3 1/2 hours
Kitchen Equipment: dutch oven pot or high-sided skillet, kitchen twine
- Prep the veal / beef shanks by securing the meat to the bone with kitchen twine by tying around the circumference of the shank. Season each shank with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- To a large pot or dutch oven add 1 tbsp olive oil and the diced pancetta. Turn the pot to medium heat and cook until the pancetta has browned, 8-10 minutes. Once done remove from the pan and set aside.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and add the shanks to the pan and brown on each side, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the shanks and set aside.
- Turn the pot to medium-heat and add onion, celery and carrots. Season with a pinch of salt and cook for 8 minutes until softened.
- Slowly add in 3 cups of the stock to deglaze the pan. Then add in the pancetta and crushed tomatoes, stir, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Once simmering, turn the heat to keep at a low simmer and nestle in the shanks into the sauce making sure they’re almost or fully submerged.
- Cover the pot and slow-braise for 2 ½ - 3 hours or until the meat is falling off the bone. Turn the meat once or twice OR baste the meat occasionally if they are not fully submerged and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper throughout the cooking process. Add 1 more cup of beef broth as things cook if needed (the cooking liquid should stay around ¾ the way up the shank).
- To serve, remove the kitchen twine and serve with some of the sauce, the shanks then topped with a spoonful of gremolata.
Recipe Pro Tips:
- This recipe can be easily halved to make only 2 shanks.
- Serve over polenta as another option.