(pasta with clams)
There is nothing better than a comforting bowl of pasta and with a few simple pantry ingredients you can have this delicious pasta with clams on the table in no time. Perfect for weeknights or weekends, in Italy there’s a debate around mixing cheese and seafood together so to add a texture, flavour and crunch - toasted panko breadcrumbs are used to top this flavourful dish.
2 tbsp olive oil
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
1x 454g package of linguine noodles
¼ cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
¾ tsp dried chili flakes
¼ cup of white wine
2x 142g cans whole baby clams
Salt & pepper to taste
Preparation: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Kitchen Equipment: large skillet, large pot
- Cook pasta according to package directions and strain once done. Set aside.
- Separate clam juice & clams into 2 separate bowls and set aside.
- Make the breadcrumbs: in a small frying pan mix together 2 tbsp olive oil and breadcrumbs. Turn pan to medium-low heat and toast, stirring occasionally, about 4-5 minutes until browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make the pasta sauce, add the oil, sliced garlic and chilli flakes to a cold frying pan. Turn the heat up to medium and cook 4-5 minutes until oil just begins to bubble / garlic is fragrant.
- Add the white wine (if using) and the clam juice to the pan and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add clams and simmer for 2-3 minutes until warmed through. Season with a pinch of salt and then add cooked pasta to the frying pan. Toss to coat the noodles with sauce and clams and then remove from heat.
- Serve topped with breadcrumbs and if preferred, a squeeze of lemon.
Recipe Pro Tips:
- Don’t want to use wine? Try using vegetable or chicken stock
- Add a handful of chopped parsley if you’ve got a bunch handy