Peach Basil Granita
Peaches and basil go beautifully together in this granita which is made with just a few simple ingredients. A perfect taste of summer for the end of any get-together. The slight hint of basil takes this granita to a new level
3 peaches, pitted and chopped
1 cup water
¾ cup peach nectar
1 tbsp white sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp chopped basil
Optional: Stir in basil 1 tbsp basil when granita is done
Basil leaves for garnish
Preparation: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Kitchen Equipment: blender, loaf or square baking pan
- Place the peaches (make sure to remove the pitts first) in a blender and add water, peach nectar, sugar, lemon juice & basil.
- Blend until the mixture is smooth, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Place the dish in the freezer uncovered for 45 minutes. Remove the mixture; it will still be slushy in the middle. Stir the mixture lightly using a fork, making sure to stir the crystals that begin to form around the edges. **Note: Each time you mix it you’re preventing ice crystals from forming which gives the final dessert the consistency similar to sorbet.
- Place back in the freezer for another 45 minutes. Remove from freezer and stir with a fork again.
- Place in the freezer for another 45 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and stir/scrape once more; mixture should now look ‘light and fluffy.’ If it does not, stir once more and freeze again for 30 minutes.
- Keep in the freezer until ready to serve guests - serve in small bowls garnished with basil leaves.
- If you make this one day ahead, let it stand at room temperature for 10 minutes and then use a fork to stir and scrape the granita until it’s fluffy before serving.
- Serve with chopped basil for a garnish or mix in to intensify basil flavour.
Recipe Pro Tips:
- Add a pinch of maldon salt to enhance the flavours even more.