Pistachio Cardamom & Rose Water Rolls
Made with our house-made pizza dough so it only take 15 mins to prep and 25 min to bake!
It makes for a beautiful (and easy) breakfast!
1 lb pizza dough (ie. 2 balls of pre-made Italian Centre Shop dough)
3 tbsp butter, melted
1 jar pistachio cream (200 grams or 7 oz)
2/3 cup pistachio, shelled and chopped
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp heavy cream
1 cup icing sugar
1 tsp rose water
1/4 cup water, hot
10 green cardamom pods
1 tbsp Rose Petals (Optional)
- Pound cardamom pods and place in 1/4 cup hot water (let steep for 20-30 mins)
- Stretch and roll out dough on a floured surface into a rectangular shape (1/4 inch thick)
- Brush dough with 2 tbsp melted butter
- Spread with pistachio cream
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp sugar and 1/2 cup chopped pistachio over top
- Carefully lifting one end of the dough (longer side up), roll the dough tightly into a cylinder
- Cut the dough log into 8 equal pieces
- Place them carefully on a pie plate, leaving enough space for the dough to expand
- Heat up heavy cream and add to remaining melted butter. Brush mixture over the rolls.
- Place a damp paper napkin or clean towel over pie dish and let dough sit for 20 mins to rise.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375° and make icing.
- Strain the cardamom out from the water
- Sift the icing sugar, add in 1 tsp rose water. You will now gradually add in the cardamom scented water. To avoid a runny icing, add in 1 tsp at a time until you get the perfect consistency. The icing should be opaque white but run nicely down the back of a spoon (this was almost 2 tbsp cardamom water!)
- Once rolls have risen a bit, take off the paper towels. Bake rolls for 12 mins, rotate pie dish, then bake for another 13 mins or until tops of rolls are browned and bubbling
- Let cool for 15 mins
- Drizzle icing over top the rolls, sprinkle remaining pistachio and rose petals (if using)