Polenta with Sausages & Ribs
in Tomato Sauce
Beautiful golden cooked cornmeal slathered in a rich tomato sauce and topped with Italian mild sausage and pork ribs all simmered nice and slow in tomatoes and sprinkled with Parmigian Reggiano. Italian comfort food at its best and a dish you will see in the winter months amongst many Italian families!
1 cup corn meal (polenta flour coarse)
1 pat butter
2 links of Italian sausage cut into 3 pieces each
3 Tablespoons E.V.O. oil
1 rack pork ribs cut into 1 inch pieces
2 cloves garlic
2 large cans San Marzano Tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 handful fresh basil
sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated Parmigiana Reggiano
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
Serving size: Serves 4
- In a large stock pot drizzle in olive oil and press garlic and toss in.
- Throw in sausages and rib pieces and sauté for about 10 minutes on medium to high heat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle in basil.
- Hand crush tomatoes and pour into pot adding any additional juices from the can.
- Add in tomato paste
- Stir and taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper as needed
- Lower heat to a simmer and partially cover. Cook for 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn on the bottom of the pot.
- When sauce is done bring water to a boil. Season with salt to taste.
- Slowly add polenta flour (corn meal) a little at a time constantly using a whisk to stir.
- When all the flour is in continue stirring till corn meal thickens. About 30 minutes.
- After this cover and take off heat for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and stir with whisk again and it is ready to serve.
- Scoop polenta into a wood plate ( if you don't have a wood plate use a serving platter or whatever you have, even a cutting board.
- Spoon tomato sauce over the top, then place pieces of ribs and sausages over that and sprinkle with grated parmigiana.
- Grab your spoons it is ready to serve.
Recipe created for the Italian Centre Shop by: