1 blood orange
1 navel or cara cara orange
1 bulb of fennel
1/2 of a medium red onion
Large handful fresh mint
Large handful fresh parsley
About 10 - 15 small black olives
1 tablespoon raspberry vinegar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Slice the oranges into rounds, crosswise and cut away the peel.
- Place in a small bowl for about 10 minutes, then drain the bowl. You can use this juice for the dressing.
- Ideally using a mandoline, thinly slice the fennel, discarding the hard core. Place in a bowl.
- Slice the onion thinly, then place in a bowl and cover with cold water for 20 minutes. This step is optional, bit reduces the intensity of the raw onion.
- Roughly chop the mint and parsley.
- Place the raspberry vinegar, olive oil, orange juice and sugar in a small, covered jar and shake vigorously to combine. Taste, and season with salt pepper and a little more sugar, if needed.
- In a bowl, combine the fennel, onion, mint and parsley. Drizzle over the dressing and toss together.
- When ready to serve, place the orange slices on a small platter. Pile over the fennel salad. Scatter olives on top and drizzle with more dressing, if required.