Easy to make, you get a decadent and delicious dish that’s perfect for any day of the week.
400g guanciale, cut into ½ inch cubes
4 egg yolks, room temperature
1 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese or pecorino romano cheese
Preparation: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Kitchen Equipment: large skillet with a lid, large pot
- Put the cubed guanciale into a cold frying pan and turn to medium-low heat. Cook until crispy and fat has rendered. Remove the pan from the heat and leave 2-3 tbsp of fat in the pan and remove the rest of the fat (leave the guanciale in the pan).
- Next, boil the water for the pasta and cook the pasta according to package instructions. *Before you drain the pasta keep 1 cup pasta water aside*
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the eggs - add the egg yolks to a bowl and whisk in the shredded cheese. Set aside.
- Once the pasta is cooked to al dente, add to the cooled down pan with the guanciale. Add in ⅓ cup of reserved pasta water and mix well. Add 2 tbsp reserved pasta water to the egg-parmesan mixture, whisk and then add to the pasta mixture. Stir fairly constantly as you add in the egg-cheese mixture and for about 2 minutes until you get a glossy, smooth sauce - use more pasta water if needed.
- Serve with fresh ground pepper.
Recipe Pro Tips:
- Be sure to use room temperature eggs.
- Make sure the pan with the guanciale is not still hot when adding the egg mixture; if it’s still hot you’ll end up with a ‘scrambled egg’ type sauce